Vichyssoise - Leek and Potato Soup

This is such a wonderful soup, smooth and creamy, and can be eaten hot or cold (we prefer it hot).  I never make this soup, without ever thinking of my husband's grandmother. I first made this soup, almost 15 years ago, shortly after we were married, and the "inlaws" came to dinner. Mr. G's grandmother, was also invited. I know that when I served the soup, she absolutley loved it, and commented that she was so happy her grandson, had married a great cook. At 23, to hear this from the family matriarch, was a real compliment. She was always very kind to me, and never, ever spared the lovely comments. I just always knew she was on my side, cheering me on, every chance she got. So everytime I make this soup, I remember her, and the sweet woman she was.

 

 
butter, leeks, potatoes, cream

 
sauté the leeks in butter

 
add the chopped potatoes

 
cover potatoes with boiling water/or chicken stock

 
cook till potatoes are tender

 
blend till smooth, in blender or with emersion blender

 
add cream or milk to potato mixture

 
blend one more time

 

 

 

 

 
Vichyssoise - Leek Soup 

 
(from my very old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
Ingredients
  • 3 leeks
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • 1 medium onion (if using)
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Instructions
  1. Wash the leeks very carefully making sure to remove all soil.
     
  2. Slice only the white part of the leeks into thin pieces.
     
  3. Dice the potatoes, slice onion and celery.
     
  4. Sauté leeks, in butter about 10 minutes, add in the potatoes.
     
  5. Add chicken stock and cook over medium heat until all vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
     
  6. When the vegetables are tender, purée the vegetables and stock and add the cream.
     
  7. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.



 
XO, DIANA

Comments

  1. Looks very tasty, ideal for these cold days!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigada Sandra, cá em casa é uma das nossa sopas favoritas :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie